Sunday, February 06, 2011

New to DVD... NOWHERE BOY


Not a Soul Food movie per se, just one I liked a lot. Story of John Lennon before he and his mates headed off for Hamburg. Very smart screenplay, deft and accurate Beatles references, with exceptional performances by Aaron Johnson, Kristin Scott Thomas and Anne-Marie Duff as John, Aunt Mimi and Julia respectively. Can't for the life of me figure why it didn't make more critics' lists. But it made mine, so that will have to do.

Movie City News: "I’m not instantly receptive to the idea of a film about John Lennon, tormented young artist and lone rebel with an acoustic guitar. Yeah yeah yeah… I thought John couldn’t make me smile in a movie theatre again, like I did when I was a teenager, watching A Hard Day’s Night for the first time. I should have known better."

No comments: