Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Movie Gourmet (Nov 2006)

My first "Movie Gourmet" column is up at CT Movies! Very pleased with it: my editor Mark Moring and I worked long and hard to get it right, and it's so gratifying to see it come to fruition.

It'll be a regular column, with installments early in the New Year, late spring, end of summer and mid-fall, focusing on the kind of movies I get really excited about and want to tell everybody to go see - not-necessarily-commercial fare that's got some sort of distinctly spiritual flavour.

So this month, "Our Feature Presentation" is HAWAII, OSLO. In the DVD section we focus on the films of Whit Stillman, Eric Rohmer's MY NIGHT AT MAUD'S, and touch on THE DEVIL & DANIEL JOHNSTON, L'ENFANT and THE THREE BURIALS OF MELQUIADES ESTRADA (which keeps growing in my esteem as the months pass: I'm guessing it may end up with SOPHIE and the Dardennes on my year-end list).

On the "Now showing" roster I recommend REQUIEM and 49 UP, with speculative nods in the direction of DELIVER US FROM EVIL, THE JOURNALS OF KNUD RASMUSSEN and (most speculatively of all) ONLY HUMAN. "Coming Soon" heralds Agnieszka Holland's COPYING BEETHOVEN, Tom Tykwer's PERFUME and DANIELSON: A FAMILY MOVIE.

In January/February a look at Roberto Rossellini, a scan of the '07 year-end feast, DVD releases like THE DOUBLE LIFE OF VERONIQUE and (hopefully) SOPHIE SCHOLL, and I think we might Feature a certain South African film...

No comments: