Thursday, May 21, 2009

Filmwell: Loose Canon


Last week I told you about Filmwell, a new film site involving Jeffrey Overstreet and some other of my favourite film/faith writers. This week I can tell you, I'm one of them! Jeff invited me to become a contributor, and I posted my first article yesterday morning. (Looks like I'm The Wednesday Man.)

"Loose Canon" talks about my recent list-making binges (tabulating the five editions of 1001 Films You Must See Before You Die, and comparing those to several other Greatest Films Of All Time lists), announces a summer project to catch up on the films that made all seven of those lists, and chats up THE APARTMENT - first on that list, an amazing film.

By the way, in 34 Films I DO Want To See Before I Die, I listed all the movies that had shown up on six interesting "Great Films" lists. Since that time I blended in The New York Times Guide to the Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made (Second Edition), which shrunk the list to 30 titles. The four flicks dissed by the NYT are BLADE RUNNER (1982, Ridley Scott), CITY LIGHTS (1932, Charles Chaplin), METROPOLIS (1927, Fritz Lang) and SUNRISE: A SONG OF TWO HUMANS (1927, Fritz Lang). So I reckon I'll have myself a little Fritz Fest once I've watched my way through the rest of The Sevens (having already seen Chuck and Ridley's pix), then on to the Six Flicks!

Summertime, and the livin' is movie...

1 comment:

alyxstarr said...

If you don't mind sharing, I would love a copy of that spreadsheet!

sheetmusic47 [at] gmail [dot] com